Re: F3 CDs - final stages

The F3 images are a chalange to say the least.  The basic problem is that
we have moved beyond the current system, space and accessability being two
aspects.  What we need is the apt-cdrom part of apt to be rock solid and
then we can have as many CDs as we like, task packages and all the rest of
the goodies.  So apt-cdrom is now an urgent matter as far as I am
concerned.

Thanks for these comments.  I am planning for the next series (G1?) to
have three images and all the packages and with apt working with CDs
accessability should be no problem.  There will probably still be a
section for unistallable packages because of unmet dependencies.

Would someone pick up apt and make certain that the cdrom aspect works
well?

Phil.

On 9 Jul 2001, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> Philip Charles <philipc@copyleft.co.nz> writes:
>
> > The Turtle has not beaten me!  Still at two CDs, but this has meant that I
> > have had to work at the Exclusion list.
>
> Well, you're cheating now ... There are some packages on your list
> that are certainly useless, but others are more of the "extra"
> variety. Specifically:
>
> * are KDE and Gnome really not worthless? I dimly remember Marcus
>   stating that Gnome worked in principle.
>
> * kernel-source-* may actually be useful for people that want to snarf
>   current Linux drivers to put them into Mach.
>
> * "Linux" documentation is often not that Linux specific. I'd wager
>   that half of the HOWTOs apply to all GNU systems (if not all
>   Unices). Similar for lg-*. foo-doc packages where foo does not yet
>   exist should be excepted, of course.
>
> * alien may have some use converting arch-independent rpms, for
>   example.
>
> Sure, the benefit is certainly not big for these, but not exactly
> zero, either. It depends on the cost involved in producing another CD,
> which I'm total oblivious of...
>
> --
> Robbe

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org