Re: integrating a new network driver

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:16:42AM +0200, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Hi folks !
> I'm currently having a look had gnumach to figure out how to integrate
> support for a Netgear FA311. There are drivers for Linux2.2 available in
> source (GPL) and from what a brief look at the sources revealed, the
> interfacce didn't change that much.

If the interface didn't change a lot, it might be worth a try to update it
and all drivers (and include new ones).  However, as with oskit-mach this
will be done by other people than us, we are fine with kludges like
backporting drivers with minimal effort for GNU Mach.

> I have already had a look at i386/Drivers.in, where the selection-mechanism
> for the single drivers is and also found the generic probe-function where I
> would have to add a call of the new code.
> Are there any other things I should look at ?

You should look at how the driver is enabled via configure
(--enable-something).

> Guides, reports etc ?
> Should I at all try to integrate the driver into gnumach or rather oskit-mach?

If you want to use it, it is a good idea to integrate it in gnumach with
minimal effort and send us a patch if it isn't too ugly.  oskit-mach already
has 2.2. drivers I think, maybe even for your card. (Check with oskit).

> btw: I fail to compile the Gnumach-sources (they're a bit old, but...): a
> 'uname -p' reveals 'unknown' ( under Hurd and Linux) so
> gnumach refuses to compile.

You don't give us enough details to figure out what problem you had.  Which
version of the source are you using, and how did compilation fail?

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de