Re: Q: Problem with the keyboard (not under X) and other questions

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 11:09:20AM +0100, bertrand.sirodot@bnpparibas.com wrote:
> I have just managed to install The Hurd on my PC and I have a slight
> problem with my keyboard. We use a UK keyboard and the default one is a US
> keyboard.
> I have installed the console-common and console-data packages, so I have
> the install-keymaps executable and the uk.kmap.gz file. Unfortunately, we I
> run "install-keymap /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.kmaps.gz", it throws
> the following error to me:
> "Warning: no console utilities installed yet. differing keymap setting
> until either console-tools or kbd is installed."

console-tools is linux specific software.  Although it makes sense to reuse
their data files and share them, there is currently no application to make
use of them on the Hurd.  I hackled together a simple replacement a long
time ago, which you can find in
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/keymap.tar.gz

> Secondly, I have read a few mail on that list about the drivers in the
> GNUmach kernel. I think one of the interests of The Hurd is its modularity.
> The following idea might have been already thought of or considered, so
> please don't shoot me straight away: would it be possible to implement each
> single driver as a server in kernel space? One of the advantage of The Hurd
> over monolithic kernel is the implementation of functionality like
> filesystem as a server is user-space, and I was wondering if it would be
> possible to reuse that philosophy for the kernel drivers. Any thought?

No, the Hurd servers are implemented entirely differently from monolithical
kernel filesystems.  BTW, kernels like linux already have a virtual file
system layer where filesystems plugin.  But you have to look at a different
place to find out how this works.

> Thirdly, I walked through the mailing list last night and I still can't
> understand which kernel I should use: it seems that The Hurd is fairly easy
> to install using GNUmach but that all the development is happening on
> OSKit-mach. What is the exact status? What should I use if I want to do
> some development?

You will only find GNU Machinthe bianry archive.
If you want to do kernel hacking, use oskit-mach.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de