Q: Problem with the keyboard (not under X) and other questions

Hi everybody,

I have just managed to install The Hurd on my PC and I have a slight
problem with my keyboard. We use a UK keyboard and the default one is a US
keyboard.
I have installed the console-common and console-data packages, so I have
the install-keymaps executable and the uk.kmap.gz file. Unfortunately, we I
run "install-keymap /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.kmaps.gz", it throws
the following error to me:
"Warning: no console utilities installed yet. differing keymap setting
until either console-tools or kbd is installed."

My problem is that I can't find neither the console-tools package nor the
kbd package. Does anyone have any idea how to fix that problem?

Secondly, I have read a few mail on that list about the drivers in the
GNUmach kernel. I think one of the interests of The Hurd is its modularity.
The following idea might have been already thought of or considered, so
please don't shoot me straight away: would it be possible to implement each
single driver as a server in kernel space? One of the advantage of The Hurd
over monolithic kernel is the implementation of functionality like
filesystem as a server is user-space, and I was wondering if it would be
possible to reuse that philosophy for the kernel drivers. Any thought?

Thirdly, I walked through the mailing list last night and I still can't
understand which kernel I should use: it seems that The Hurd is fairly easy
to install using GNUmach but that all the development is happening on
OSKit-mach. What is the exact status? What should I use if I want to do
some development?

Thank you very much for your time and keep up the good work. I think The
Hurd is a great idea and that the work you are all doing the
FANTASTIC......

Cheers.
Bertrand.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential.  If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

Any use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.

The internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message.  BNP PARIBAS
(and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message
if modified.
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sint confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur.

Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute
diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf
autorisation expresse.

L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, BNP
PARIBAS (et ses filiales) decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce