Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

> > Just to keep you updated -- I've successfully installed your debian
> > root image with a custom kernel on the Zaurus C750 (haven't tried 5500
> > yet). The same can also be done on the other C7x0 models and the 5600
> > because they have fundamentally the same bootloader/flash layout.
>
> This is interesting.  I had been wary of the C750 and C760 because I
> wasn't sure how compatible the XScale is with the ARM that the 5500
> uses.  Are they similar enough that they can run each other's userland
> code?  How good is the XScale support in gcc-arm?

The XScale uses a superset of instructions of the StrongARM and is
therefore fully backward compatible. I'm told a problem arises if you
mix GCC versions (pre-3.x with 3.x), in which case an XScale running a
kernel (or libc?) built with GCC 3.x won't be able to execute code
built for StrongARM with GCC 2.x. I can't confirm this though because
I haven't tried, and I'm not familiar with the details. It's probably
best to ask on IRC channel #openzaurus or #gpe.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/