Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:01:17AM +0000, Major A wrote:

> One thing I'm wondering about: how did you actually create that root
> image? It seems to be that you somehow installed everything on the Z, then
> tarred it all up... the ssh host keys certainly make it look that way.
> Does Debian have a tool (or even just a HOWTO) for making root images?
> What I would ideally like to have is an apt-get and dpkg that run on a
> host computer but use a different architecture and have their own status
> and archive files in, say, /scratch/zaurus/root/var/ . That way I could
> gather and configure all the basic packages I need and then build a jffs2
> image from that.

Yes, the image was tarred up from a live system, which was in turn created
by debootstrap and some manual configuration.

Unpacking the packages on a host system _might_ work (depending on how the
pre-installation scripts are written), but post-install configuration must
be performed on the native architecture, since it needs to be able to run
programs.

--
 - mdz