Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

> As it says on the page, I don't have time to work on it right now (even less
> now than then), and volunteers are more than welcome.
>
> I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a different kernel; probably
> any of the OZ kernels should work, and they give you a range of options for
> dividing up your memory.

Just to keep you updated -- I've successfully installed your debian
root image with a custom kernel on the Zaurus C750 (haven't tried 5500
yet). The same can also be done on the other C7x0 models and the 5600
because they have fundamentally the same bootloader/flash layout. The
touchscreen doesn't work yet and X comes up in portrait mode, which is
rather awkward, but that should be rather easy to fix.

One thing I'm wondering about: how did you actually create that root
image? It seems to be that you somehow installed everything on the Z,
then tarred it all up... the ssh host keys certainly make it look that
way. Does Debian have a tool (or even just a HOWTO) for making root
images? What I would ideally like to have is an apt-get and dpkg that
run on a host computer but use a different architecture and have their
own status and archive files in, say, /scratch/zaurus/root/var/ . That
way I could gather and configure all the basic packages I need and
then build a jffs2 image from that.

Another solution would be to get some ARM disk image and unpack the
base package from there -- maybe that's even easier.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/