Re: Fam, still a problem in new nautilus

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 11:58, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 04:20:13 +0100, Luis M wrote:
>
> > The solution is simple:
> [...]
> > 3. wait X number of seconds after you close Nautilus window on whatever
> > dvd/cdrom you mounted or logout and log back in... and finally,
>
> How is that a solution?!

FAM has to timeout or Nautilus will timeout and release FAM. Whichever
happens first so that the CD can be ejected. It works perfectly fine for
me. Or kills Nautilus completely (logout) ("pkill nautilus" perhaps?).
The point is not to use the terminal because at that point you could
simply just restart the fam daemon (if you have root in that box).

Just for completeness, this is how I modified my FAM daemon:

1. remove the line from /etc/inetd.conf so that the init script starts
fam and not inetd. (dpkg-reconfigure? bah!)
2. this is my /etc/fam.conf:
insecure_compatibility = false
untrusted_user = nobody
local_only = true
xtab_verification = true
idle_timeout = 15 # although when the script starts, it has "-T 0"
anyway. cat /etc/init.d/fam | grep -i "\-T" .. FAMOPTS=" -T 0 -l". Which
should really come from /etc/defaults/fam ...
nfs_polling_interval = 10 # which doesn't matter because "-l" disables
polling NFS volumes :-)

In my case, I do get Nautilus lock on some DVD/CDROM once in a blue moon
(generating previews or whatever Nautilus loves to do). So, I generally
set Nautilus to NOT generate previews EVER or thumbnails not even for
text files. And to only show Size as icon caption (and not to count
number of files in directories). After that, you get a perfect desktop,
fast and reliable :-) but with a semi-cripple Nautilus of course. But,
for as long as I don't have to open a terminal and type the dreaded "
/etc/init.d/fam stop && /etc/init.d/fam start" (or restart for those who
care), I have no problem with crippling Nautilus in this manner. It
works.
Then some people would argue: so why have FAM in the first place. Well,
for the same reasons that this thread started and more (have some script
doing something in the background that creates X number of files and
have them show without having to click on Refresh...)

Hope that helps...

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com
How many chunks could checkchunk check if checkchunk could check chunks?
-- Alan Cox

http://www.latinomixed.com/