Re: Gnome-print usage

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 21:28, Rob Taylor wrote:
> first off,a question. Why, if i install gnome-cups-manager, it is placed
> in preferences://System-Tools, rather than system-settings://?

Does anyone actually use system-settings://?  I've only ever seen it
populated on Red Hat.

Really gnome-system-tools and gnome-cups-manager need to agree on a
location to appear in the menus.  Desktop Prefs->System is not great, as
it's not a desktop preference, but stock GNOME doesn't have a System
Settings menu entry.  Maybe we should patch the vFolder a la Red Hat and
add System Settings after Desktop Preferences?

> Secondly, here's an overview of functionally I'd like to see (and will do
> the work myself, this is a high-priority task for me ;)
>
> 1) Addition of odd/even/reverse printing options to the default
> gnome-print dialog

If you are going to use CUPS, then you could apply the Ximian Desktop 2
patches to libgnomeprint, which make the print dialogs a fair bit nicer
(but assume that CUPS is being used).  IIRC, this is one of the extra
options.

> 2) Addition of ability to install ppd from a driver disk in
> gnome-cups-manager

You'd need to aquire root access for this somehow -- as far as I know
gnome-cups-manager can run as a normal user as it talks to CUPS to do
the work, which can become root.

> 3) Panel application for printer status and queue management

As Sebastien pointed out, gnome-cups-manager comes with this.

> GGV: no printer dialog calls lpr directly. This is becasue it just dumps
> the PS stright there. Bug in bugzuillaa suggests maintainer thisnks is v.
> dificult to use gnoem print. Deserves investigation into what GPDF does.

(This is as I understood it, and may be wrong) GPDF uses gnome-print
internally, what you see on screen is gnome-print writing to an
in-memory image.

> GIMP: doesn't use gnome-print dialogs and does some printer management.
> Why? What's going on here?

GIMP doesn't use any GNOME libraries, it only relies upon GTK+.

> My primary concern is that all this should work well in Debian, so I'd
> rather produce diffs at debian level then propagate them upwards. My main
> question, is should i do this work against 2.4, backporting changes when
> necessary, or Is there an aim to have working 2.6 packages soon?

I'd recommend contacting upstream about this -- gnome-cups-manager
upstream is Jody Goldberg now, who works for Ximian.  He and Dave Camp
will be able to tell you what their heavily-patched gnomeprint does, and
maybe it would be less work to work on integrating parts of their code
into the official releases.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com