Gnome-print usage

Hi, I'm currently attempting to put together a nicely operating GNOME
desktop (i.e. suitable for corporate level use) using debian unstable.
The 1st thing I've been looking at has been the state of printing with a
basic gnome install.

first off,a question. Why, if i install gnome-cups-manager, it is placed
in preferences://System-Tools, rather than system-settings://?

Secondly, here's an overview of functionally I'd like to see (and will do
the work myself, this is a high-priority task for me ;)

1) Addition of odd/even/reverse printing options to the default
gnome-print dialog
2) Addition of ability to install ppd from a driver disk in
gnome-cups-manager
3) Panel application for printer status and queue management

There are also a few default gnome programs that don't use
gnome-print/the gnome-print dialog or have broken printing:

Epiphany: 1.0.7 doesn't use gnome-print. 1.2 should (I've not tested this
yet)

Dia: debian package is build to use own-rolled print system rather than
gnome-print. apparently there are/were bugs in dia's gnome-print
handling. Does any know what they are and if dia still has these problems
in gnome 2.6? I don't seem to be able to fins a bugzilla entry for it.

GGV: no printer dialog calls lpr directly. This is becasue it just dumps
the PS stright there. Bug in bugzuillaa suggests maintainer thisnks is v.
dificult to use gnoem print. Deserves investigation into what GPDF does.

Sodipodi: uses own print dialog.

GIMP: doesn't use gnome-print dialogs and does some printer management.
Why? What's going on here?

eog: printing seems completely broken in unstable. Needs some
investigation.

My primary concern is that all this should work well in Debian, so I'd
rather produce diffs at debian level then propagate them upwards. My main
question, is should i do this work against 2.4, backporting changes when
necessary, or Is there an aim to have working 2.6 packages soon?

If the feeling is that it would be best to do these changes against 2.6,
I offer my services in helping package 2.6 (I have quite a bit of
experience packaging on debian, as headed up a custom embedded distro
based on debian in my last job). Is anyone working activly on this right
now?

Thanks,
Rob Taylor