Re: server-questions

On 8 February 2010 04:33, Martin Schulte <schulte-martin@web.de> wrote:

> Ok, the network in a few month looks like this: 132 PC and laptops mostly
> with double boot windowsXP/linux. We will use tjener as mainserver,. On
> clients we will use a normal "debian", which will be tie to tjener (because
> of many customisations, and a lot of troubles using skolelinux on our
> Laptops). I will setup up the clients using clonezilla Server Edition (on a
> second server). I tried a lot in the last weeks, and i think it will be work
> very well. Our infrastructure is good enough for these.
> After this, we will point our attention to the new project, as written
> before. A firm offers a leasing bit for netbooks. The sixth formers pay some
> money every year (3 years long) and get an netbook. At the time we work on a
> good concept to integrate these netbooks into education. On  the Netbooks
> will run Debian (maybe Ubuntu Netbook Remix?). I can setup them easily using
> SystemImager.org . They will use an local account, but they should have an
> access to their home-directories on tjener (should be mounted after login,
> but i think this will bring some troubles because of the mode
> (read/write-rights)). In the first year, we will try out some things using
> 50 till 100 netbooks, if everything goes well, we will have nearly 300
> Netbooks up to 2012. At the time, we think about how to resize the WLAN
> infrastructure - hardware and software. From the softwareside the questions
> will be: Do we need an second DHCP-server , do we need an fileserver and how
> to integrate him into the existing network, because he should share the home
> directories. And at least, we need an second webserver, because there are
> different applications for the intranet.
> On clients all pupils should have an root account (or maybe sth. like an
> jradmin), because its their own netbook, the they should use it at home  and
> so on and so on...

for a while we had this kind of set-up with Ubuntu netbooks. Following
some difficulties with samba, I ended up mounting tjener homes via
sshfs. I placed a shortcut on the desktop which ran a script asking
for username and pw and doing the mount. Since these were shared
laptops, I created a regular user and applied some edubuntu lockdown
techniques (pessulus and something else) before cloning. Two problems
occurred - 1. kids managed to customise things despite the locking
down and 2. if someone saved a file into the tjener mount point
directory, but had forgotten to mount, then no-one could mount their
home on that laptop anymore.
You might get what you want from autofs, ( I couldn't understand it
enough, so if you do, please share!)

As far as infrastructure scaling goes, I can't help. We are a very small school.

cheers
nigel