Re: translating documentation and putting it on the web server

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:46:13PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:56:51AM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > For now, we store the source in the webwml repository in
> > french/international/french/translations I was wondering if we could use the
> > debian-doc repository for that, and if yes, if my account works in this part
> > (I'm not a debian developper, but I can commit in the webwml module).
>
> I think only developers (all of them, though) are allowed to commit in
> debian-doc module, but I guess a pserver account could do.

Well, you are right. My pserver account from webwml tree (user name
'french') does not work in the debian-doc tree. Sorry I could have tested
that myself before asking...

Could I have one, please ? To who should I ask ?

> Generally, it should be okay to put any translation in the same subdirectory
> as the original document. We already do that for several docs.

Good, I think we'll do that.

> > I was also wondering if it was possible to :
> > - offer other format in w.d.o/doc/ddp (besides html, ps seems to be
> >   another good choice)
>
> Anything's possible, but I didn't see any requests for that.

We do have such request in french on l10n-french. That means we need to
address the two problem to fullfit theses requests...

> > - offer the translations from the same pages (using content negociation ?
> >   using more than one link ?)
>
> That would be nice, but it's kinda tricky since not all default makefiles
> also build the translations, and finding out if any translations exist in
> the .wml would require quite a bit of tweaking...

Well, ok, we'll try to dig in it. Waht I wanted to know was if it was a good
raison for not doing that (like "no enougth disk space").

Thanks, Mt.