Re: Innovation in Debian

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:22:37 +0200
Zlatan Todoric <zlatan.todoric@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, unstable
> or experimental should be *just do it* and develop it so Debian gains
> momentum (or
> some other nice solution to gain that).

Coordination is always the problem. Developers cannot just go and break
everything for others by doing what they like without regard for anyone
else. If everyone just did their own thing, everyone would end up being
blocked by incompatible changes elsewhere.

There is a bit less of a constraint now that we are outside the freeze
but unstable is not and cannot be allowed to become a complete
free-for-all, even only amongst those who have upload rights. All
developers need to work with others to make changes and that's where
all the arguments start, especially if someone wants to change the
default something to something else.

No developer is an island.

Innovation in Debian, from my experience, has actually happened most
often by getting lots of Debian people together somewhere with reliable
network connectivity, a local mirror and a ready supply of beer,
caffeine & food.

Face to face, a lot of the nonsense plaguing the lists just wouldn't
happen. Some of it would, so sometimes we do need people who can just
tell some of their colleagues to "shut up and stop being an idiot" too.
It helps if those people are the ones with a reputation for getting
things done themselves.

If more people sat and counted to 100 before hitting Send, we may
actually get a whole lot more useful stuff done.

--

Neil Williams