Innovation in Debian

Ahoy, fellow developers,

Having followed the recent threads, I've been growing concerned - not of
sticking with an old init system, or switching to a new one, or even the
god-aweful tone of every damn post on that thread (srsly guise).

I'm mostly concerned that we, as a project, have a *hard* time trying
out big, breakey things -- I know, we're Debian, we're stable, I get
that.

So, given that no one wants to upload something broken to unstable (lots
of users, might end up in stable and have to support it for 5 years),
how can we, as a project, step up innovation in Debian? Where can we
break these things and try out new bits of integration?

I certenly don't have time to manage setting up infra to manage a "fork"
(or even a private overlay) of Debian, so how can we support these new
bits inside Debian?

We do have PPAs coming up - we could use those with breaking "NMUs" (PPA
Owner Uploads? POU?) of packages to help with integration, but I fear
there might be project backlash over that.

So, what do *you* think? How can we break more of Debian for fun and
profit?

Cheers,
  Paul

--