Re: how can we help DSA save money

]] Steven Chamberlain

> Hi!
>
> On 2013-07-21 08:09, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > Backups is 8 x 4T Seagate Constellation drives.  Bytemark is 24 x 4T
> > Seagate Constellation drives.  We get setup, hosting, power, etc
> > donated, so that is not part of the cost there.
>
> Thanks;  was this just a purchase of drives, or also a new storage
> appliance / enclosure for them?

Raw drives, we have an enclosure, generously donated by Bytemark.  (The
backup server is donated by Thomas Krenn in Germany, if my memory serves
me right).

> At a lower level we can consider the capabilities of the storage system,
> which is really software.  Depending on that, it may have been practical
> to manage with just 6 disks initially and add more later (when they may
> be half the price or less).  OTOH its performance may then be
> insufficient, but then it could be potentially fixed in software of the
> application.

There are practical problems with your suggestions, such as resizing the
RAID taking a very long time when we add a new disk (you're looking at
weeks of seriously reduced performance).

So far, there's been little interest in hacking on the software driving
snapshot.debian.org by anybody but weasel.  If people start showing up
with patches that make it consume less space: great, but I'm not going
to hold my breath.

--
Tollef Fog Heen