Re: how can we help DSA save money

On 2013-07-22 14:50, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> There are practical problems with your suggestions, such as resizing the
> RAID taking a very long time when we add a new disk (you're looking at
> weeks of seriously reduced performance).

That seems like a limitation of software, at one of the lower layers.

I did not mention ZFS until now, because I didn't want limit anyone's
thinking to filesystems.  But I did have it in mind all along.

ZFS allows adding drives to an existing pool to increase its capacity
when needed.  That does not require a scrub/resync.  They could be added
as mirrored pairs somewhat like being able to extend a RAID10.  Or you
could add groups of disks at a time, each configured like RAID6.

And ZFS can also take file-level snapshots, which would possibly allow
for a simpler implementation of snapshot.d.o to be based on it...

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org