Re: PulseAudio

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:14:56 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

>>> In VLC:
>>>
>>> ctrl-p, go to the audio tab, and select the correct device in the
>>> "output" frame.
>>>
>>> That's not VLC-specific, FWIW; most applications that can do alsa
>>> output have a way to select the output device. There are exceptions,
>>> of course,
>>> but those applications are either immature or buggy.
>>
>> Which means there is no canonical way to do it, and, like you said not
>> every application supports such an option.
>
> I also called those exceptions "either immature or buggy". They're far
> and few between.

I have yet to see a web browser that allows you to change which audio
device it uses. And even if there was such a browser, Flash wouldn't pay
any attention to its settings.

>> Do I really elaborate why a central control panel to configure that is
>> the superior solution instead of having to figure out for each and
>> every application how to do it?
>>
> Again, there's no reason why such a control panel can't be a simple
> frontend to an asoundrc file.

I doubt any alsa client watches the .asoundrc file so that it can
automatically reconfigure itself whenever the file is rewritten (without
interrupting audio playback, of course). And, having wasted far too many
hours of my life screwing around with .asoundrc, I can say with certainty
that there is nothing simple (or indeed, even usally documented) about
the contents of that file. :)

(Apologies for not rolling this in to my previous reply)

--
Sam Morris
https://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078