Re: On init in Debian

On 03/20/2012 10:49 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:

>>> It's not, because the goal should be to deprecate init scripts like
>>> other distributions did.
>
>> No. The goal should be to have something which is easy to debug.
>
> I don't agree.  I'm happy to trade frequency of problems for more
> difficult debugging in the rare cases that problems still happen.

How can you be sure that such problems will happen less often? What if a
problem is not solvable by editing a config file?

> In
> other words, provided that a new solution exposed a much smaller surface
> that *could* be buggy, I'm happy for debugging problems still remaining to
> be somewhat more difficult.
>
>> Shell scripts are easy to debug, even via a serial console.
>
> I also don't agree with this, for what it's worth.

Common init scripts are short enough to make them easy to debug. Its
more annoying when these shellscripts call other shellscripts which call
other shellscripts - but that is a different issue which needs to be
solved - but not necessarily in the init system.