Re: dpkg-source again broken wrt to 3.0 (quilt)???

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > It would be nice if you could avoid the "flaming tone" in all your mails.
> > In particular since most of the time it ends up being a mistake of yours.
>
> And it would be nice if dpkg-buildpackage gives a decent error message.

[... snip useless flames ...]

> > But if the debian directory already contains changes which are part of the
> > patches, then it will fail trying to re-apply those changes.
>
> So well, but if out of some crazy reasin I *want* to do that, then
> dpkg-* should tell me: Sorry, this is not possible with quilt (3.0),

Please submit a wishlist bug for this.

> Since we are at quilt 3.0 bashing

You decide whether you're doing useless bashing or constructive
discussion... and we would be all better off if you picked the second
choice.

> : Maybe you can give me a rational
> why I *ALWAYS* have to type in
> 	export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
> before working with debian source packages?  And when I forget it
> I get hurt by quilt?

First, this is not true. As pointed out by Jakub, dpkg-source -x sets up
the .pc directory so that quilt knows where to find the series file and
the patches.

Then, for the cases where you end up without this directory, you could
follow the advice of /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source which provides
a .quiltrc snippet that only sets QUILT_PATCHES if you're within a Debian
source package...

RTFM, man.

> Is this the *easy*handling* as promised?

If you have an unpacked source package with all patches already applied,
the easy handling is to just do your changes and then run "dpkg-source
--commit". It will create and register the patch for you.

> And NO, I wil lnot set this by default in my env, since I am working
> with quilt in several other projects out of debian, and I cannot afford
> getting even worse bitten.

The recommended snippet does avoid this problem...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer