Re: dpkg-source again broken wrt to 3.0 (quilt)???

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> maybe its just me, but I cannot get the hang of that 3.0 (quilt)
> and pre/post applying patches.
>
> Recently I prepared a NMU for less to finally fix the missing xz(tar.xz)
> support, added a new patch, but it is *impossible* for me to build
> a package. Irrelevant wether the patches were applied beforehand
> or not, dpkg-buildpackage always ends up in trying to apply them TWO
> times, which of course does not work.

As others have pointed out the error is this:

> patching file debian/lesspipe.1
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
> 1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file debian/lesspipe.1.rej

No patching of files in debian/.

But that has been said. The reason why I write this mail is to suggest a
change in how you prepare a patch for a 3.0 (quilt) package that will
prevent you from running into this situation alltogether:

Just edit the files directly and build the (source) package.

Dpkg-buildpackage will automatically build (and update on repeated
builds) a debian/patches/debian-changes(-version) patch for you. Then
when you are satisfied that everything is as it should be you rename the
patch (quilt rename this-is-a-patch-for-foo) and edit the patch header to
properly annotate your work.

MfG
        Goswin