Re: dpkg-source again broken wrt to 3.0 (quilt)???

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 07:29:18PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Agustin Martin wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 02:35:23PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > > * Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>, 2012-01-18, 22:18:
> > >
> > > dpkg (>= 1.15.8.6) creates the .pc/.quilt_series file. So no, not always.
> >
> > It is sometimes removed. It is still unclear to me when/why that happens,
> > guess that dh_quilt_unpatch may be the responsible for that.

Hi, Raphael, thanks for the reply,

> You should not use dh_quilt_patch / dh_quilt_unpatch with a "3.0 (quilt)"
> source package.

In the particular case of last QA upload for wdm, it is not explicitly used
anywhere in the package. Seems that is implicitly used by some other tool.
Before looking at the quilt snippet I considered having .pc/.quilt_series
in the VCS but it was removed.

By the way, just looked at quilt README.Debian and found no mention of above
"3.0 (quilt)" related info when dealing with dh_quilt_patch/dh_quilt_unpatch.
Some note about it may worth.

> dpkg-source takes care of everything, you should not apply/unapply patches in
> debian/rules.

This is sometimes useful when using "3.0 (quilt)" together with a VCS.
Although I'd expect it be similar to using the "3.0 (quilt)" format option to
unapply patches, still have to look at this more carefully.

I used this patch/unpatch targets before that option was available and still
keep them in some packages, having possible migration to unapply option in my
TODO list.

Regards,

--
Agustin