Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:
> > After all, it isn't called gzless.
>
> Actually, that's not far off.  Right now these functions are spread
> across 4 different binaries, each of which is in a different package.

Probably the best thing to do would be to just incorporate the functionality
in the less package.

zless works with uncompressed files and is well known to work that way.  I'm
sure that lots of people run "zless *" without regard to whether there are
compressed or uncompressed files in the directory.  Having zless and less do
the same thing and support a wide variety of compression methods would be
ideal.  It's not as if anyone would use less to view the binary contents of a
gzip data stream.