Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

On Monday, August 15, 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 10:43 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Iustin Pop <iustin@debian.org> wrote:
> > > There is also information on Wikipedia about various
> > > compression benchmarks, but IMHO if we want to switch from
> > > gzip then bzip2 doesn't make sense for /usr/share/doc.
> >
> > I'd like to see zless work transparently with bzip and xz
> > compressed files. There's really no need for three different
> > wrapper programs when the zless program can just consult the
> > magic db to determine which decompression program to use.
>
> [...]
>
> +1
>
> After all, it isn't called gzless.

Actually, that's not far off.  Right now these functions are spread
across 4 different binaries, each of which is in a different package.

File                         Package
==========================   =======
/bin/bzless -> bzmore        bzip2
/bin/bzmore                  bzip2