Re: support for installing unconfigured systems (VM images, Debian Live images, preinstalled mobile/tablet images)

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 12:51 +0200, Hector Oron wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Getting late to discussion, apologies for that.
>
> 2011/7/26 Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>:
> > On 11-07-26 at 12:03pm, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> >> We were thinking that it might be nice to add support to
> >> openssh-server for installing the package, not generating the host
> >> keys and then generating them on first boot. debconf pre-seeding could
> >> be one way to do that, but it would be quite specific and a more
> >> general solution might be desirable.
> >>
> >> So, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this topic?
>
> > Uhm, I did have an idea for this, but have forgotten it again now.
> >
> > Cc'ing Hector who might recall our discussion on this exact issue a few
> > weeks ago...
>
> Indeed, openssh keys as well as udev fpostinst creates
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules which hardcodes MAC
> addresses. Maybe some other packages are as well affected.
[...]

There is a new network device naming scheme that uses physical location
(slot number or firmware-provided port number) to name PCI network
devices.  So far this is implemented in Fedora 15 and RHEL 6.1 (!).  I
assume this would generate consistent device names for network devices
in VMs if the configurations differ only by MAC address.

Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
the default?

Ben.