Re: Introducing Build-Recommends / Build-Core-Depends?

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 01:28:36PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> During bootstraping a new architecture, there are sometimes ugly
> build-dependency-loops (usually involving generating documentation
> for the core build utilities means you need to have the architecture
> already available; same with graphical tools). During DebConf, Wookey
> had a talk which lead to us discussing some ideas how to support that.
> Most packages are not affected at all by that, and current behaviour
> isn't changing as long as package source files are not changed.

Wookey's proposal was to have Build-Depends-Stage1 (etc. - I may have
misspelled this slightly), and for a bootstrap-aware autobuilder to
build its way through each of the stages until it reaches the real
Build-Depends.  I personally prefer this approach because it makes it
clearer that the final build-depends is what we really want to reach,
and that binaries uploaded to the real Debian archive still need to have
all those build-dependencies in place.

I think Wookey indicated that there was at least one case where more
than one stage is required, in which case Build-Recommends does not
really seem to solve the full problem.