Re: intermediate result of packaging-dev meta package discussion

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:34:30 +0200
Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:

> > A few days ago, we had a discussion about a packaging-dev meta package.
> > The responses were between neutral and positive. Therefore I created a
> > initial draft [1] and tried to incorporate all suggestions made in the
> > discussion.
> >
> > The list looks currently like this:
> >
> > Depends: [...]
> >          pbuilder | cowbuilder | sbuild,
>
>   My laptop, where I do all my packaging work but final build, has
> none of them installed. I've a separate machine with several chroots
> (lenny, squeeze, unstable and several for ubuntu) managed with sbuild that
> I use when I want to really build the package I will upload. Due to disk
> space, I cannot instal them (chroots) on my laptop.
>   I other people work like me, these tools can be moved to Recommends

I disagree. pbuilder or the alternatives are fundamental to best
practice Debian packaging. The needs of Debian are wider than a single
user having a problem with a single machine.

This package is trying to express best practice for packaging, to get a
baseline. You admit that you have a way of building in a chroot and it
isn't required that everyone uploading to Debian has this package
installed, it is simply a way of making it simple for most people to
have a standard set of build tools.

Most people would have space for a pbuilder chroot (it's only a few
hundred megabytes even unpacked, it's the apt cache which takes up the
space and that can be cleared with a configuration change) and everyone
using packaging-dev should be expected (required) to use a chroot to
build packages prior to upload.

Recommending chroot build tools is not strong enough.

--

Neil Williams