Re: Alioth status update, take 3

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 01:12:19PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 27 May 2011, Agustin Martin wrote:
> > Besides the problems I pointed out in my last mail, seems to be some
> > confusion for personal git repos. I see they were duplicated during
> > migration between wagner and vasks. Where should they really live?
>
> It's not clear yet, it's an open question that I added to the list
> of (short-term) pending stuff for Alioth admins:
> http://titanpad.com/yyhfwA9Pyr
>
> Right now I continue to push to vasks, but I rsync the result
> to wagner so that gitweb access works as expected.
>
> > There also is some confusion in its current handling since some of the
> > redirections seem to point to wagner and some to vasks, so I am afraid
> > currently some people is committing to wagner and some people is committing
> > to vasks.
>
> Which redirections are you speaking of?
>
> Except when you're using SSH, you always get what's on wagner:
> git://git.debian.org/~hertzog/dpkg.git
> git://git.debian.org/users/hertzog/dpkg.git
> git://anonscm.debian.org/~hertzog/dpkg.git
> git://anonscm.debian.org/users/hertzog/dpkg.git
> http://git.debian.org/git/users/hertzog/dpkg.git
> http://anonscm.debian.org/git/users/hertzog/dpkg.git/
> http://git.debian.org/?p=users/hertzog/dpkg.git
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/hertzog/dpkg.git
>
> The only URL that correspond to vasks are those:
> git+ssh://git.debian.org/~hertzog/dpkg.git
> git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/users/hertzog/dpkg.git

Thanks a lot for this summary and for the quick reply. This is really useful
to understand current status regarding personal repos. I may have missed the
relevant mail, but I was missing this kind of summary for personal repos
(Roland's early mail did not mention them).

Since commits are always done through ssh that addresses one of my fears,
no 'spread' commits between both boxes are expected unless someone really
forces things by wrongly using explicit wagner locations with direct access
($user@wagner.d.o:~$user/public_git/..).

> > I even had a problem with one of my experimental repos which ended up
> > pushing to one box and pulling from the other.
>
> If you pull from git:// and push to ssh:// that can happen yes.

That is indeed what happened,

url = git://git.debian.org/users/agmartin/experimental/dictionaries-common.git
pushurl = ssh://agmartin@git.debian.org/git/users/agmartin/experimental/dictionaries-common.git

Anyway, seems that as you currently do, until handling of personal repos
becomes 'stabilized', I (and everybody else using personal repos) really
need to rsync to wagner after pushing. Otherwise people pulling from git://
will get old stuff.

> > To make things more funny some of the addresses result in pointing to vasks
> > or wagner, not to a single destination.
> >
> > For instance, http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/ will show package status in
> > vasks, e.g.,
>
> That's only because this URL is pre-generated on vasks (for performance
> reasons, gitweb takes several minutes to generate it). It's done on vasks
> because wagner only has read-only access.

Fine. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

--
Agustin