Re: glibc: causes segfault in Xorg

On Wed, 04 May 2011, Adam Borowski wrote:
> I'd instead propose to sacrifice a tiny amount of cycles to check for
> overlapping and abort()ing so buggy code can be fixed.  Random instability
> is the worst kind of error, a clean crash is easy to fix.  Heck, we can even
> make a change just before wheezy is frozen to make it call memmove() when a
> breakage is detected.  Just please don't paper over the bugs until then.

While I can sympathize with this (it's what I want as a developer), it's
certainly not a good idea in Debian in general: we have many derivatives
taking unstable/testing at various points in time, and we also want to
make testing generally usable by end-users.

So it's best if you consider unstable always in production-mode by
default.

It's the same story than building applications/libraries with
DISABLE_DEPRECATED, it's good for developers but we should not enable
those in unstable/testing because we prefer not breaking packages that
have not been updated yet.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer