Re: glibc: causes segfault in Xorg

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:48:33AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> While I can sympathize with this (it's what I want as a developer), it's
> certainly not a good idea in Debian in general: we have many derivatives
> taking unstable/testing at various points in time, and we also want to make
> testing generally usable by end-users.
>
> So it's best if you consider unstable always in production-mode by default.

I disagree with this.  We expect *our* users of sid to use things like
apt-listbugs and to be wary of blindly upgrading.  I think we should hold
downstream distributions to higher standards.  If a downstream distribution
blindly accepts a libc from sid and it doesn't do what they want, imho that's
their fault.  Especially with a core package.

I'm concerned that this attitude, if adopted elsewhere, would paralyze Debian
development, for fear of inconveniencing other distributions.

--
Jon Dowland