Re: Debian rolling: tentative summary

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 09:47, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Cristian Henzel <cristi@b3r3.info> [2011-05-03 08:12]:
> > I'm a bit new to Debian but just wanted to add my $0.02 to this discussion,
> > since it's something that I personally find very interesting.
> > Firstly, I think the question should be, "which users would be targeted by a
> > rolling release?" I don't think there are many people out who have the need for
> > *both* really stable and supported *and* up-to-date packages and this might not
> > even be possible without a huge team to work on it. IMHO the rolling release
> > should be targeted at people who want the latest stuff but don't care that much
> > about stability.
> > I had a quick talk on this with a couple of people on IRC where I suggested
> > starting with a 'clone' of the testing repository, and changing a couple of the
> > rules, like not having a freeze for example and maybe increasing the time it
> > takes packages to 'promote' from unstable into rolling. This might not make the
> > most stable configuration but I think it would be a good compromise between
> > having the latest packages and not having any really serious bugs. I for one
> > would only dislike bugs that cause a data loss or a non-operable system, and
> > from what I know these are pretty rare even in testing.
> > If it then would be also possible to decrease the release time of stable to
> > something around a year, I think this might make everyone happy, both the
> > 'stability freaks' and the average Joe.
>
> Er, no. Those of us using Debian in corporate environments desire high
> stability, long-term support and defined, not to short, periods between
> releases. The 2 years with the security support for currently about 4
> years from the release date on is good if even a bit on the short side.

I agree. Debian shouldn't become yet another Ubuntu.

I converted all my servers to Debian stable and workstations to
testing/unstable thirteen years ago and I don't regret.

I don't think that the Debian can beat Ubuntu in popularity on
desktop/laptop field (not yet) and IMHO it should not even try that.

IMHO Debian is for the people who understand computers and are willing
to invest some time to learn and "user friendly" distributions are for
other more or less laymen people.

--
Kind regards,  Milan