Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:08:58PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've been playing with WebDAV, which is an extension to HTTP. So I guess
> > that will work with firewalls?
>
> Yes, it should.
>
> The only lingering concern that I have about a share is how it plays with
> the files installed on your system via package.  Can gdb be pointed to
> multiple different debug information stores at different paths?  Mounting
> a remote share over top of /usr/lib/debug obviously wouldn't work in many
> cases (and WebDAV you're unlikely to mount as a file system at all).

My other questions about this relate to bandwidth usage:

• does it keep symbols between gdb runs, or do they need downloading
  every time?

• if it keeps them, where are they stored, how long for and how do
  they get cleaned up?

• if it doesn't keep them, doesn't this have the potential to waste
  gigabytes of my monthly DSL bandwidth quota, since debugging
  symbols can be huge and you might run gdb repeatedly on many
  occasions?

With having actual debug packages installed, it's easy to know how
long they will remain for, and to remove them when done.  Knowing
the above would be useful.

For the users who will benefit from one-time reporting of problems,
this probably won't be an issue.  But, if you get repeated crashes
you might need to get the symbols many many times.  For developers
doing a lot of development work, you aren't going to want to fetch
the symbols again and again.

Regards,
Roger

--