Re: how to satisfy a patched build-dependency in debuild / pdebuild

Malte Forkel <malte.forkel@berlin.de> wrote:

> Sandro Tosi schrieb:
>> A general rule may be: patch upstream source code, not debian packaging file.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Well, my patch is active if its in 00list :-)
>
> But you're right, adding the dependency to debian/control is safe and
> easy. It just "doesn't feel right" to always require a specific library
> if its only used in a special configuration. The only remedy I can think
> of is to document the relationsship between patch and build dependency
> both in the patch and in the changelog. But I'd still prefer to tie the
> two functionally rather than verbally.

If you were involved in maintaining the Debian package, one approach
(besides just branches) could be a script for generating/changing the
source package from the repository. The script would generate
debian/control from debian/control.in or similar, and adjust the
Build-Deps according to the patch state.

I once did that for backports. There was a target "etch" (or was it
sarge?) in debian/rules; thus you could even switch a source tree
unpacked from sid sources, so that next time dpkg-source -b would
generate a package for building a backport, including correct changelog
entries.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster