Re: how to satisfy a patched build-dependency in debuild / pdebuild

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 14:28, Malte Forkel <malte.forkel@berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> an optional patch that I'd like to add to a package requires an
> additional build dependency. If I append that dependency to
> Build-Depends in debian/control as part of my patch, it is not checked
> in time. It seems, the build dependencies are checked (by debuild) or
> checked and satisfied (by pdebuild) before the patches are applied. But
> if I add the dependency by permanently modifying the control file, it
> needs to be fulfilled even when the patch is not used.
>
> Is it possible to have debuild re-check (and pdebuild re-satisfy) the
> build dependencies just after alls patches have been applied? Is there a
> different way to add a build dependency only when a specific patch is
> active?

How do you determine it the patch is "active" or not? I'd say: add
definitely the build-dep to the debian/control file, if the patch is
"active" it will find what it needs, if it's not, it won't do no harm
(ideally ;) ).

In particular because buildds (where the package will be built for all
supported arch, if it's and arch:any) use a different software,
sbuild, so I won't play the "force a reload of packaging info" game.

A general rule may be: patch upstream source code, not debian packaging file.

Regards,