how to satisfy a patched build-dependency in debuild / pdebuild

Hi,

an optional patch that I'd like to add to a package requires an
additional build dependency. If I append that dependency to
Build-Depends in debian/control as part of my patch, it is not checked
in time. It seems, the build dependencies are checked (by debuild) or
checked and satisfied (by pdebuild) before the patches are applied. But
if I add the dependency by permanently modifying the control file, it
needs to be fulfilled even when the patch is not used.

Is it possible to have debuild re-check (and pdebuild re-satisfy) the
build dependencies just after alls patches have been applied? Is there a
different way to add a build dependency only when a specific patch is
active?

Thanks,
Malte