Re: Notes from keyring-maint; end of the world not predicted

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 07:43:53PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li> writes:
> > * Replacement of the old key with the new one should not cause any
> > other key to no longer be in Debian's Web of Trust nor strongly
> > connected subset.
>
> Is there a simple way of checking whether this is true for a given key?
>
> > * Replacement of the old key with the new one should not cause a
> > significant weakening of Debian's Web of Trust. I don't have exact
> > figures for this at present, but it'll be based on the Betweenness
> > Centrality and mean-minimum-distance calculations most probably.
>
> Is there a simple way of getting a metric of this for a given key?

The "easiest" way is probably to install the signing-party package and
then use keyanalyze:

rsync -az --progress keyring.debian.org::keyrings/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg \
	./debian-keyring.gpg
gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./debian-keyring.gpg \
	--delete-key <old-key>
gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./debian-keyring.gpg \
	--import <new-key>
pgpring -S -k debian-keyring.gpg | process_keys > preprocess.keys
keyanalyze

and then you should have an output/ directory. status.txt has the
reachable/strongly connected set sizes at the bottom. other.txt will
show you the average MSD.

Historic stats for the debian-keyring are at:

http://keyring.debian.org/stats/

if you want to compare (2009-05-06 is what you'll get from the above
rsync at present).

cwot isn't currently packaged, it might possibly be a useful addition to
signing-party.

J.

--
Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.