Re: dash as default /bin/sh and bashisms-free archive RGs

Le mercredi 15 avril 2009 à 17:12 -0500, Raphael Geissert a écrit :
> Then there must be some sort of missunderstanding. My intention was not to
> troll, but to demonstrate the implications of what you said. I would like
> to apologise for my previous message as I had understood something
> completely from what you really said, sorry.

I said:

        Actually it would be better to specify that scripts must work with both
        sh implementations available in Debian, being bash and dash, rather than
        making nothing more than a fork of the POSIX spec.

What you seemed to have understood is very unclear, but since it implies
supporting forever the whole bash feature set in the /bin/sh
interpreter, I don’t really want to know what it is.

> But I anyway don't think it is the appropriate way to do it.
> You are assuming that only bash and dash are suitable as /bin/sh, while IIRC
> zsh, mksh, pdksh, posh, and probably some other shell interpeter out there
> are all policy compliant and thus suitable for /bin/sh (ksh isn't since it
> doesn't support local variables).

No, they are not suitable. We can’t decently support gazillions of
implementations, and there is absolutely zero need to do so.

> So, may I ask why would requiring scripts to work with bash and dash and not
> the others is fair?

There’s no point being fair. Shell interpreters are not humans, we don’t
have to treat them all equally. We need one /bin/sh interpreter, we need
to ensure that it is good, and that all /bin/sh scripts we ship will
work with it. Everything else is pure masturbation.

> I'd prefer to stick with the standards.

It’s the role of the dash maintainers to ensure the implementation
follow standards. Not the role of the policy.

What would you think if the policy started to specify which constructs
exactly scripts with a /usr/bin/perl shebang are allowed to use, and
what the perl implementation needs to implement?

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 “Lenny” has been released!
: :' :