Re: dash as default /bin/sh and bashisms-free archive RGs

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> Le mercredi 15 avril 2009 à 02:16 -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

>> The advantage of the current Policy approach is that we have some hope
>> of introducing a new /bin/sh down the road, and we don't require that
>> packages comply with bugs in dash that should be fixed in dash.

> Policy documents practice. When that new /bin/sh exists, you can change
> the policy to require packages to comply with this new implementation.
> It doesn’t change anything from the maintainers’ point of view, but it
> avoids a useless work of formalization.

I think the current approach is better, and the formalization hasn't been
that much work.  The current approach has the significant advantage of
letting one write checking programs, such as lintian, against a standard
instead of against ad hoc practices.