Re: dash as default /bin/sh and bashisms-free archive RGs

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> It is not the role of the policy to specify the exact requirements of
> the /bin/sh implementation.

It is, however, the role of Policy to specify the minimum required feature
set that all scripts can assume.

> Actually it would be better to specify that scripts must work with both
> sh implementations available in Debian, being bash and dash, rather than
> making nothing more than a fork of the POSIX spec.

The advantage of the current Policy approach is that we have some hope of
introducing a new /bin/sh down the road, and we don't require that
packages comply with bugs in dash that should be fixed in dash.