Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

>  /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, for example, is in Perl. You may define
>  functions, variables, closures (given enough make-kpkg-fu) and have it
>  all work.

Agreed. But this is valid for power user that would not really need
the safe merge capability provided by Config::Model.

>  I dare you to try one for sendmail.cf. (and yes,  often don't
>  use the new fangled m4 stuff)

A complete model of sendmail.cf would also be required only for power
users like you.

For the "mother-in-law use case", it would be more useful to validate
that upgrades will work correctly for "Config::Model enabled"
packages. Later on, the more packages use Config::Model, the easier
will be the system maintenance of "most common" users.

All the best

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org