Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

On Wed, Feb 25 2009, Dominique Dumont wrote:

> So I was thinking that this is a typical case where the upgrade could
> be smoothly handled by Config::Model.

> Of course, there's no miracle. For the merge to work automatically and
> the result to be valid, the semantic of the configuration file must be
> known by Config::Model. This is done by describing the structure and
> constraints of the configuration file in a model (hence the
> Config::Model name).

        Do we have an idea of how many configuration files can be
 described in terms of such a model? (I generally tend to code
 configuration files in  a scripting language if the code is written in a
 scripting language).

        While I suspect a large number of our configuration files are
 simple, I fear that a significan chunk of them are fairly complex; and
 possibly not amenable to being described in terms of a non-trivial
 model.

        manoj
--
Drop the vase and it will become a Ming of the past. The Adventurer