Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

On Wed, Feb 25 2009, Dominique Dumont wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
>>  (I generally tend to code configuration files in a scripting
>>  language if the code is written in a scripting language).
>
> Uh ?

        /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, for example, is in Perl. You may define
 functions, variables, closures (given enough make-kpkg-fu) and have it
 all work.

>>         While I suspect a large number of our configuration files are
>>  simple, I fear that a significan chunk of them are fairly complex; and
>>  possibly not amenable to being described in terms of a non-trivial
>>  model.
>
> Agreed. We may need to use hybrid solution for the most complex
> configuration files. Something like exim-like template + Config::Model
> for the template variables.

        I dare you to try one for sendmail.cf. (and yes,  often don't
 use the new fangled m4 stuff)

        manoj
--
"No one can forbid us the future." Inscription on the base of Paris's
monument to Leon Gambetta