Re: Security Issue of .desktop files

On mar, 2009-02-24 at 23:36 +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> Speaking as someone with a PhD in computer security (and my PhD was in
> this area) I can tell you that trying to use heuristics in order to
> determine if something is 'bad' does not, and it's fairly widely
> recognised cannot, work.

Well, it depends. I'm not opposed to security (all the contrary, in
fact), but it's clearly a tradeoff and at some point it becames useless.

> You are ipso facto providing an oracle to the attacker and he will
> craft
> something that looks sufficiently plausible, passes the checks, but is
> malicious.
>
> I firmly agree with Michael that the only good solution is to require
> explicit marking or .desktop files in some fashion. Owned by root is
> probably fine (since you've basically already lost if that's the case)
> as is setting the execute bit (but things should be cautious as always
> about setting it)

Maybe that's what the test should be supposed to do. What I say is that
it should be part of the spec. One DE or distro shouldn't do its own
stuff privately or it'll fail.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis