Re: Bug #513073 - debhelper impossible to unpack on Win32 due to case insensitivity - please reopen

Neil Williams schreef:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:07:35 +0100
Sjors Gielen <mailinglist@dazjorz.com> wrote:

I'd like to ask you to reopen this bug. I have sent you a patch which fixes debhelper so it can unpack on case insensitive file systems or operating systems. debhelper has in its main directory, next to the regular debian directory, also a Debian directory which contains Perl modules. The patch (see the original bug report) fixes this case conflict by moving the Debian directory to lib/.

Even if only looking at perl packages installed on my own machine, this
problem is not unique to debhelper - any package that has a Debian::
perl module is likely to have exactly the same "problem"/feature.

$ ls /usr/share/perl5/Debian
AdduserCommon.pm  Debhelper        Dependency.pm          DpkgCross.pm
AptContents.pm    Defoma           DictionariesCommon.pm  Dwww
DebConf           Dependencies.pm  DocBase                Packages

Not really. For example the Defoma directory there:

  defoma-0.11.10$ find . -name '*.pm'
  ./pm/Defoma/SubstCache.pm
  [...]

DocBase:

  doc-base-0.8.20$ find . -name '*.pm'
  ./perl/Debian/DocBase/Document.pm

This is a problem of packaging only. For debhelper, this is the current situation:

  debhelper-7.0.15$ find . -name '*.pm'
  ./Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python_support.pm

As you see, the Debian dir here conflicts with the regular debian directory on case insensitive filesystems.

If I'm correct, OS X may work in case insensitive mode too.

It's been a while since I used OSX but I certainly remember .DS_Store
directories all over the place and various applications using a mix of
capitalised and lower case directory names.

So this would not only help debhelper on Win32 platforms, but also on OS X in some configurations.

Sjors