Bug #513073 - debhelper impossible to unpack on Win32 due to case insensitivity - please reopen

Hello Joey and list,

I'd like to ask you to reopen this bug. I have sent you a patch which fixes debhelper so it can unpack on case insensitive file systems or operating systems. debhelper has in its main directory, next to the regular debian directory, also a Debian directory which contains Perl modules. The patch (see the original bug report) fixes this case conflict by moving the Debian directory to lib/.

The main argument not to apply this patch was, that by applying it it becomes your reponsibility to keep debhelper working on Win32. That's not the case, because there are other people to keep checking compatibility for you, like me and other users who would want debhelper to work on their platform.

If I'm correct, OS X may work in case insensitive mode too. Other than that, I am already trying to get Debian packages to work under Cygwin. I can confirm the patch makes debhelper unpack cleanly. As far as I'm aware the patch does not break anything on other platforms (please tell me if I'm wrong).

I'm cc'ing the list to hear their opinion on this matter. If they agree the patch should not be applied, I will create a seperate source package just for debhelper on Cygwin.

Thank you,
Sjors