Re: Bug #513073 - debhelper impossible to unpack on Win32 due to case insensitivity - please reopen

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:07:35 +0100
Sjors Gielen <mailinglist@dazjorz.com> wrote:

> I'd like to ask you to reopen this bug. I have sent you a patch which
> fixes debhelper so it can unpack on case insensitive file systems or
> operating systems. debhelper has in its main directory, next to the
> regular debian directory, also a Debian directory which contains Perl
> modules.  The patch (see the original bug report) fixes this case
> conflict by moving the Debian directory to lib/.

Even if only looking at perl packages installed on my own machine, this
problem is not unique to debhelper - any package that has a Debian::
perl module is likely to have exactly the same "problem"/feature.

$ ls /usr/share/perl5/Debian
AdduserCommon.pm  Debhelper        Dependency.pm          DpkgCross.pm
AptContents.pm    Defoma           DictionariesCommon.pm  Dwww
DebConf           Dependencies.pm  DocBase                Packages

> If I'm correct, OS X may work in case insensitive mode too.

It's been a while since I used OSX but I certainly remember .DS_Store
directories all over the place and various applications using a mix of
capitalised and lower case directory names.

--

Neil Williams