Re: Transition: krb5 to drop Kerberos IV (libkrb53 restructuring)

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:

> I really appreciate your help here!

Thanks!

> I'm sorry, but I don't see how I get stuck in unstable if I start out
> with the libkrb5-3 shlibs and symbols files pointing to libkrb5-3
> rather than libkrb53.  As I understand it, rdeps can only hold me in
> unstable if moving my package into testing would make them
> uninstallable in testing.

Yes you are right about this.

And that's what what I had in mind and wrote the other way around :)

> more true than if I added some symbols to one of my libraries and
> upgraded my versioned dependency.  Still that's a reason to leave the
> shlibs and symbols files pointing at libkrb53 until I make it into
> testing.

It's not strictly necessary as you pointed out, but in the end it
makes the transition even smoother and protects against anything that
could come up in the 10 days you'll spend in unstable with the new
version.

A bit over-engineered maybe, but I like doing transitions (and not
only package transitions in Debian :)) in a way that provides me with
a big switch to throw once everything is ready while still having
options for pausing or backing out if anything comes up.

> The krb4 using packages are all leaf packages, so they will not
> complicate things until libkrb53 goes away.

That's what I got from your initial mail.

> I trimmed the reply text, but you asked why I need two build passes.
> The krb5 package includes a bunch of libraries as well as daemons,
> utilities etc.  Building with krb4 enabled does more than build krb4
> libraries, and I want to get the affects of building with krb4
> disabled for daemons and utilities.  Doing two build passes will be

Oh, OK. That doesn't necessarily have to be done when introducing
libkrb5-3, but that's entirely your call of course.

> easy given my package structure and the package does not take
> particularly long to build.

That's a big help in this case!

JB.

--