Re: Transition: krb5 to drop Kerberos IV (libkrb53 restructuring)

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

> That is, if I made the dependency in libkrb5-3.symbols look like
> libkrb5-3|libkrb53 (and similar changes for other symbols files), then
> both the packages in unstable and testing would satisfy the
> dependencies.  It seems like this would significantly reduce the
> impact of the transition.  Am I missing something or would this change
> be a good idea?

Have you considered uploading a version of krb5 with:
 - libkrb5-3
 - libkrb4-?
 - libkrb53 a metapackage depending on both of the above
 - libkrb5-dev depending on libkrb5-3 alone and containing only the
   files needed to link with libkrb5-3

Then you can do a smooth transition that won't break anything. Wait
until that version makes it to testing and then ask for binNMUs for
anything that can be binNMUed and still depends on libkrb53.

Once you're all done, get rid of libkrb4-? and libkrb53 (add a
conflict on libkrb53 in libkrb5-3 to force the removal?).

That should ease things quite a bit, especially given the number of
rdeps...

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>