Re: screenshots.debian.net

<email@christoph-haas.de> was heard to say:
> > There should be a way to select what screenshot you want. I'm saving
> > the version number along with the screenshot.
>
>   Personally, I would rather be able to provide a version number
> and then get the "best" screenshot you have.

What is the "best"? :)

> Then I could show a
> matching screenshot if there was one, and *something* if there
> wasn't.

I can add a version parameter to the /thumbnail requests that would give
you only a thumbnail for the exact version. Just keep in mind that by
default the web interface suggest the Sid package revision. And that
number changes pretty often. So I'd say it's not likely you will get a
certain screenshots for your desired version. Unless of course you query
for the Lenny version. But I assume that most people just accept that
automatically displayed revision number even though the screenshots comes
from Lenny. So I'd say in 99% of the cases you get nothing.

>   Also, would it be possible to get an API for uploading screenshots?
> (I say that as if I had any clue how to invoke such an API...)

There is one. It uses the HTTP protocol. :) Just do an HTTP POST request
and send the three fields like in the upload form.

>   Oh, and a third question while I'm at it:  what sort of bandwidth is
> available for this system?

The current sponsor (who was pretty surprised how much CPU power and
bandwidth it used - I'm working intensely with him to reduce the load)
provided space on a server hosted at the german provider Strato. Expect
good uplinks. The server system itself has a 100 Mbps NIC. Traffic limit
is 1 TB.

> I imagine that automatically fetching
> thumbnails for an entire list of a few hundred packages would be poor
> manners.

Let's find a better way to do that if you need more than what's usually
requested via the web interface. Traffic is less the problem than CPU load
probably. Unless you just do that once of course.

> Do you think you can handle fetching the thumbnail of each
> package the user clicks on?

I currently do. Or how do you mean?

 Christoph
--
A guess is just a guess until you turn it into a pie chart.
Then it's an analysis. (Scott Adams)