Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 07:46:27PM +0100, Christoph Haas <email@christoph-haas.de> was heard to say:
> On Sonntag, 16. November 2008, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:18:26PM +0100, Christoph Haas
> <haas@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > > Thumbnail (<= 160x120 pixels):
> > >   http://screenshots.debian.net/thumbnail/PACKAGENAME
> > >   (this URL returns a dummy thumbnail if no screenshot was found)
> >
> >   Just one quick question: will there eventually be support for
> > different versions to have different screenshots?  Occasionally
> > there's a big difference across versions, and users might want to
> > see it.
>
> There should be a way to select what screenshot you want. I'm saving the
> version number along with the screenshot. So in theory I could tell which
> one is for a newer version of the software than the other (although I'd
> have to 'dpkg --compare-versions' because I couldn't think of an SQL
> function to do that yet). But I wouldn't know which one was for Etch or
> Lenny without some additional queries on data I don't have yet.

  Personally, I would rather be able to provide a version number
and then get the "best" screenshot you have.  Then I could show a
matching screenshot if there was one, and *something* if there
wasn't.

  Also, would it be possible to get an API for uploading screenshots?
(I say that as if I had any clue how to invoke such an API...)

  Oh, and a third question while I'm at it:  what sort of bandwidth is
available for this system?  I imagine that automatically fetching
thumbnails for an entire list of a few hundred packages would be poor
manners.  Do you think you can handle fetching the thumbnail of each
package the user clicks on?

    Thanks,
  Daniel