Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Martin Stigge wrote:

What about: People can contribute screenshots in whatever language they
want and the screenshot will be language-tagged. A viewer-frontend can
then adopt a behavior like "show all screenshots of my language, and if
none exist, fallback to English". (Or optionally append English ones
even if native-language ones exist, or append all, or whatever strategy
you want..)

This is more or less the widely accepted gettext behaviour: Try a native
language and use English as fallback.  I just want to make sure that the
API will realise this.  In practice I think that if users see a real
need to provide non-English screenshots they will do and we will finally
settle down with some active translated screenshots as we have some actively
translated gettext messages and those who do not care that much.  But if
we do not consider this feature at the point of designing the API we might
be forced later to change the API.  I just want to avoid this change which
will cause some effort later if it is predictable that it will be needed
later.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--